Mighty Mouse GL

Mighty Mouse GL
Avatar

Sunday, June 8, 2008

Declan - pt 5

Feeling a little bit defeated and alone, Declan sat down on a pile of snow and crossed his legs. Calming himself he breathed in and out slow and deep. If there’s a vision to be had, he wanted it now. He waited and only found his impatience. …water. Not an image of water, a want of water. Not a thirst either, but he needed water. “Why would I need water if I’m not thirsty?” He continued to relax.
*
“Tickle? My neck is tickling.” The La Guz on his neck began to quiver, much like when your eyelid twitches for no reason at all. He earned this brand on the day of his birth. Mother was cleaning down by the icy river, her hands aching from the cold. And along comes Declan, clamoring to become part of the world. Mother fell into the river and in no time, I was born… into the icy waters of mid-Thorri; an Óðinsdagr. *sorry that would be the middle of January, of sorts, and on a Wednesday* I was struggling to survive, as was mother. The ice water was making her sleep and I had not yet had my first breath. It’s said that babies naturally know how to swim and I was no exception. On my back, frantic to live, I took my first breath. The cold was foreign to my body, but I welcomed it. I grew sleepy though my eyes were wide open. I saw several very large dimly-lighted figures. I would later learn they were a band of crusading Jötunheim.
*
I was handled by my feet and then cradled by my neck. That is when the La Guz was burned into the left side of my neck. It’s a winter marking akin to the Aquarius zodiac and also an elfin water-sign rune. The ice giants gathered my mother and me, and warmed us in their home. They would much later take us home where my father celebrated a new found relationship with the warriors of the north. My father and I had become indebted to them. My mother had become impregnated by them. You’ve already met Justine. It was their way of binding our two families for eternity.
*
“Of course, water, I’m so ignorant.” Water is universal. Water transcends all things and all time. Water finds it’s way in and out. I was close to the James River. I gathered my cycle and headed over to the main route 29. I should be able to get to the James that way. Hope had drifted in.
*
Once at the James River, I stripped down to my boxers. *Jesus it was cold, nipples standing at attention.* Stuffing my belongings into my watertight gear bag I threw it over my shoulders. Then found a tidy place for the bike. And throwing caution to the wind I jumped into the river and swam toward the barrier. Not far along, I was thwarted by hitting an invisible shield. But my resolve was unstoppable and I went under, deeper and deeper. The cold water had no impact on my stamina. The water well oxygenated for my needs. The current suddenly pulled me deeper down and under. The break I needed - the water had found a way under the barrier. As soon as I was able, I headed up and out of the water like a rocket. Gasping for air, I headed for shore, near where several others were wadding and having a summer party.
*
Odd, I’ll be celebrating my birthday for the first time in the middle of summer! …And a terrible storm by the looks of it. Dinner and a hotel, and a map, I need a map.

No comments: