Mighty Mouse GL

Mighty Mouse GL
Avatar

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Declan - pt. 6

"... where I spoke in the open air in what I conceived to be
the seat of Satan's Kingdom.
Lynchburg was a deadly place for the worship of God.”
Lorenzo Dow, 1804
*
During June 1777 the Continental Congress replaced the Grand Union flag with the Stars and Stripes. General Burgoyne and his 5700 men were sent with their tails between their legs back to England after defeat in the Battle of Saratoga, October 1777. The Articles of the Confederation were adopted by Congress as the new governing body of the United States of America in November 1777. The adorable “Crazy” Lorenzo Dow was now one month old and much cuter than the bizarre Reverend he would grow up to be. He was born into an age of exhilarating change.
*
Reverend Dow morphed into an inspirational messenger of spiritual enlightenment. A rogue character of the early 19th Century, he exuded nothing of the norm for a man of the cloth. He wielded greasy and stringy long brown hair and an equally unkempt beard. Hygiene was not one of his better attributes. His clothes were generally worn to shreds, unless a kind stranger provided newer clothing. The clothes would dwarf him as he was all skin and bones. He resembled more a harbinger of death, than of godliness. When traveling he carried no personal affects, other than a quantity of bibles to give to the masses. He spoke to groups of people numbering in the thousands. An itinerant evangelist, he would spread the gospel along the east coast of the United States, Canada, England and Ireland, and to the West Indies. His presence brought forth the spectrum of emotions, risking death at times. More than not, people were drawn to him, even loved him. Thousands of children would grow up with some form of his name, impacting many genealogical lineages. He was a fire and brimstone preacher with a modern day flare for marketing through is behavior and visual tactics of intrigue; often jumping from windows onto his horse after a sermon, riding off into the sunset.
*
Dow first referred to Danville, VA as Satan’s Kingdom; he had yet to arrive in Lynchburg where there were no churches to speak of and plenty of bars. He had been appalled by the Danville folk wanting him to pray for their children, yet not baptize them. But Lynchburg, was an evil all to it’s own. What kind of city could rise up with no devotion to God.
*
Legend has it that upon his death in Georgetown, several days after my birthday, on February 2, 1834 his rib-bones were disbursed to be buried in the very city’s in which he discerned the most evil. I should know, I started the rumor by taking one of his ribs and burying it in an unmarked grave. That’s why I needed a map. I could not remember how to get to the Old City Cemetery on Taylor Street near Monroe. Now that I have my bearings, I leave my digs at the Travelodge on Main Street and head over to the death camp to exhume me a bone. It’s desecration at it’s best but my buddy Lorenzo would understand.
*
As I step out the door of my room and head down the street, I pass by a man and his wife. Or, I assume it’s his wife, it does not much matter, because I know what they truly are. I can see it in my peripheral vision as I pass; and I get the chills. I don’t look back, I just keep walking.
*
The rain has begun. *Thank you Justine, you have perfect timing.* I’ll need some damp ground.

1 comment:

Jadielady said...

Funny, now we have almost no bars and tons of churches :P