Mighty Mouse GL

Mighty Mouse GL
Avatar

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Declan - pt. 7

By the time I reached Taylor Street, I had been hiking uphill all the way. Lynchburg never was an easy place for me to visit. I much rather ride downhill on my bike with the wind in my hair. Not uphill with Justine spewing her torment in my face. Taylor Street was yet another steep hill and the rain was growing harder, pelting me in the face like tiny wet rocks. Umbrellas are cumbersome and just get in the way; but now I could use one. Looking up the hill, I begin to dread what I am about to do. Even for just a rib. Lorenzo was my friend, and I had hoped I had buried his crazy ass for good.
*
It occurred to me about half way up, that soft dirt or not, I didn’t have a shovel to make the job easier. It was night and everyone was home, lights ablaze. It wouldn’t be so easy to break into someone’s shed and steal one. The rain was getting harder. I think there’s more water flowing now than oxygen in the air. No matter. Step after labored step, I dig my boots into the pavement and head further up. Memorial Avenue, I have one more block; the cemetery exit is at 4th street. I buried the rib close to the exit so that I could get out of there as quickly as I could.
*
Cemeteries are sacred ground and I was about to exercise bad judgment. Folks giggle at the thought of graveyards being haunted. Until they meet up with the evils that lay in wait. At this point all I could hear was my heartbeat and breathing and the rushing water passing down toward the bottom of the hill. I was close to the narrow opening of the cemetery that allowed one car to pass through. I stood in the middle of 4th Street. I stood there for probably 30 seconds, but that was time enough for my mind to travel back to the day I buried Lorenzo’s rib into a shallow grave. *at least I had enough foresight to bury it close to the exit and not far underground.* I also knew that any ghoul inside, was relegated to that terrain, never to step beyond the sacred walls. So… In… and Out… it will be.
*
5 more steps. 4 --- 3 ------- 2 ------ …ugh 1.
*
*Declaaaaaannnnn, come on in. The coast is clear for now. I know what you're up to and I can help you.*
*
Shivers are going all down my spine. Not what I need right now. Fireflies in a graveyard are not a good sign. They only draw attention with all that glowing and fluttering sexual tension they convey. But that eerie little voice is familiar. And once I shake off the chill crawling down my back, I gather my thoughts and whisper *Jenii* under my breath. And as I did that, my breath exhaled cold air. Now that just freaks me out more. That had better be Jenii.

*Yes Declaaaaannn, I’ve been sent by Valniria to assist you.*

“Jenii, thank Eritocritos it’s you. And why must you always make an entrance floating on an elm leaf? You can fly with your own wings. You’ve got to be the laziest wood nymph on earth. …I graciously accept your offering of assistance. But how can you, so tiny, help me in this rain?”
*
*You need not dig for what you seek, Declaaaaaannn. The wolf Hati and the warrior Valniria have already provided. The object you seek is resting atop the brick column you passed as you entered.*
*
“Jenii, how may I thank you?”
*
*Upon completion of your task, but a kiss will do… if you survive. And I fear not*
*
“Jenii – your kind named me. You know what I am capable of…”
*
*We do, we know. And that is why you must succeed. You are already needed in the north – to where I must now flee. I leave you with your next task, to save the sparkling waters of the Algonquin*
*
*Jenii, let me do this task first. Then I will help you soon.*
*
Walking toward the brick column exit of the cemetery, I laugh aloud. I am all alone, yet I have many to watch over me. With that, I trip over an old truck that I could not see in the darkness ahead of me. As I pick it up, I see that it is red but fading and has a handle on it that a child would use to pull it along. Who would leave that there? I grab the rib, wrapped in cloth and proceed out from the cemetery onto 4th street. “Thank goodness that was uneventful!” *It’s time to get some rest, Happy Birthday Declan. For your birthday you received one rib of a dead friend. What could be better?*
*
As Declan walked away from the graveyard, he did not notice the apparition of a small male child with tears in his eyes waving to him, pulling his red truck along behind him.

No comments: