Mighty Mouse GL

Mighty Mouse GL
Avatar

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Second-Hand Smoke

I believe I have blogged before about the funny, strange, stupid, and inappropriate conversations that I have with some of my co-workers. All of the conversations are often with women that generally start the conversation in the first place, so I feel safe in saying that it's consensual. Today's conversation was about second-hand smoke.
*
Work posted a "no smoking" sign in an area that smokers have usurped as their own, but not company sanctioned. When I go out, I try to corral everyone over to a relatively 'safe(r) zone.' Since the area in question is in the path of everyone near a walkway. And because most people just throw their cigarette butts on the concrete. Which frankly makes the area look nasty.
*
The past few days, the air has been humid, so the smoke lingers in the air. So I said something about moving further away (before the sign went up). Today, since the sign went up, one of my friends commented on it and said that second-hand smoke had to be more dangerous than Drunk Driving. She wondered why there was only publicity about Mothers Against Drunk Driving (M.A.D.D.). I reminded her that there were plenty of anti-smoking commercials. She retorted, but still nothing like M.A.D.D for second-hand smoke. I suggested there might be a Mothers Against Second-hand Smoke, or M.A.S.S. We both kind of giggled. But it made me wonder if there was such a thing. I didn't find a M.A.S.S out there but there was A.S.H., which stands for Action on Smoking and Health. Check the website out if you'd like.
*
I'm neither advocating nor rebuking the existence of the issue. I was just pointing it out to you, because it was just a silly conversation that had serious undertones, that neither of us really cared that much about. It just stuck in my head all day and I figured it was blogible.

No comments: