Mighty Mouse GL

Mighty Mouse GL
Avatar

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Sugar

The picture is of skulls formed from sugar. I found it sort of fitting for how I'm feeling right now. No, in general I'm in good spirits. But my blood sugar levels are horrendous. Sugar is killing me. I am diabetic and have been so for 12 years. But really, it's been since I was a teen and was just not diagnosed. Many iterations of medications later, I find that more serious insulin strategies are in my future. I've maxed out the oral medications, done the non-insulin injectable, back to oral and extended release insulin. My body just seems to hate them and refuses to respond. I normalize for a while. Usually months on end, but lately it's been just months or recently even weeks. My latest medication was a combination insulin and oral medications that lasted about 4 weeks and I saw my sugar levels drop, then pop back up to "unacceptable". So, I have been to an endocrinologist with whom I will be working with for the foreseeable future. I am also taking other medications for other issues. The doctor took me off those and we are basically going back to scratch. Today I started on a mixture of a short extended release insulin that I blend with a quick release insulin. The very first thing I noticed was NOTHING. The next thing I noticed was that I was dog tired by 1:00pm. I suppose that should be expected. I'll pace it out and deal with the fatigue. I tend to get all excited when I see my sugar levels drop to normal and get to feeling much better. Right now, I feel like my body is pumping syrup/molasses through my veins. It's tiring. It makes me sleepy. It makes it hard to think. It makes it very hard to be nice to stupid people. *Thank you Lexapro* And now the weatherman is talking snow. Jesus Christmas, right now I just want to spank a Grinch. I wonder if google has a picture for that?

1 comment:

Michael said...

Awww, hang in there Thomas. Go ahead. Be nasty to the stupid people. And when they look at you like WTF, tell them Captain Obvious said it was OK to do so.

"I just want to spank a Grinch" sounds so perversely obscene and wonderfully funny, all at the same time.

:)