Mighty Mouse GL

Mighty Mouse GL
Avatar

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Main Post Office - Richmond VA


12:40pm in
1:10 pm out
-
I counted today the number of people in line ahead me at the Brook Road Main Post Office. There were 8 people, making me number 9 (see I can count). A modest line for a lunch hour crowd. I figured that I would be out in no time. But I did have that sinking feeling when I noticed that there was only one person tending the line. No wait -- there was another person and that person is always there just watching from behind the counter. Sort of like a prison security guard on watch, but friendlier. I have never been able to figure out her job, because she just stands around, talks to people in line, walks back and forth, opens a random door for no apparent reason and answers a few questions. So I really can't count this person as an employee for my benefit, when I just want out as quickly as possible.
-
I'm becoming increasingly concerned because the one attendant seems to delight in talking more than processing the order at hand. It's quite apparent that she is not giving any care to the line, which has grown a few more people deep, but I'm not concerned about them.
-
Oh nice, another counter representative arrives and hope is looking up. Ah but then I recall that this person is the extremely pleasant and slow attendant that asks you all the questions about mailing parcel post that you never really wanted to know but really seem to must need to know. This person even goes to the depths of analysis to let you know your package is an irregular size and measures it and shows you just how irregular it is, which is no doubt going to cost more. Which also takes time to explain. Yes, I'm starting to roll my eyes, but I am vindicated when I see the other people fidgeting in line and drumming their fingers.
-
You might think that I'm being silly. But I'm on my lunch break trying to take care of personal matters during BUSINESS hours. I still had another errand to complete in addition to mailing my father his Jelly Belly's for Easter. I really do believe in customer service. I just don't believe in being excessively customer service-centric (which in truth, this was still far from it). Because by the time I got up to the attendant that helped me; I was through. I plopped down my package and said "Priority mail, that will be $4.60, hop to it, I'm in a hurry thank you!" This is your opportunity to reread my short self-bio, paying particular attention to "I will show out in public." The attendant had the audacity to ask me if I wanted delivery confirmation. I said, "They're jelly beans, what do you think?" and I twirled my fingers to signify "hurry it up!"
-
I'm more impressed with customer service that gets me what I want, when I want it, in a pleasant manner and out I go - to get on with life. The last time I had that kind of service like that at the post office was during the Christmas season. Lightening fast. Why you may ask? Because they had the attendant stations adequately staffed during the lunch hour. Why doesn't that philosophy translate to 365 days a year? Or, 366 for this leap year. Or stay open past 5pm so that I'm not is as much of a hurry. Trust me, the Post Master's getting an email on this one.

No comments: