Mighty Mouse GL

Mighty Mouse GL
Avatar

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Grub Kitty

"Surreal" is one of those words I find awkward to use, and giggle when other's convey some experience they have been a part of and can't think of a more appropriate word. I will abandon all hope of trying to evoke the spirit of the word. Instead, I will help you visualize an idiotic, busy-body, nosey and potentially thieving experience I had at the Grub Kitty. Otherwise known to most people as the Food Lion grocery store.
-
I had just about completed my Sunday evening ritualistic run to the store. I try to go at dinner hour to avoid the crowds. I was not even the slightest bit fortunate this evening. It was one of those - turn a corner, and ram your buggy into someone evenings. I was just about done. I wanted to take a quick spin down the dog food isle. And there she was. An elderly African American woman dressed just shy of her Sunday best. I can't really talk, cause I was in my sweatpants, t-shirt, fleece-pullover and Mets Baseball cap. *shut up, someone has to support the Mets!*. I parked my buggy out of the way. She proceeded to look into my buggy as if it were there for public inspection. Which apparently is just what she was doing. She started asking me this and that were on sale, how much it was, and where she can find the specific items.
-
Now you'll have to forgive me, but at first I thought it comical. It quickly meandered into the realm of annoyingly creepy. Then she triggered my assertive, get out of my space mode. I just had to tell her to go on and find what she wanted on her own. No, I wasn't terribly pleasant about it, but she got the hint and walked away. But I wondered, what would possess someone to rifle through the grocery haul of another person. If I had had an entire buggy filled with condoms.... then I might have opened the door for a lot of questions. But I save those trips for WalMart.

No comments: