Mighty Mouse GL

Mighty Mouse GL
Avatar

Thursday, March 13, 2008

Prejudice vs. Racism


Tough love. Words hurt. Sticks and stones.
--
I've often waffled on whether or not I was a Geraldine Ferraro fan over the years. I still haven't decided. But I respect her for not backing down on what she said about Barack Obama.
-
Prejudice: an adverse opinion or leaning formed without just grounds or before sufficient knowledge.
-
Racism: a belief that race is the primary determinant of human traits and capacities and that racial differences produce an inherent superiority of a particular race.

----
Ms. Ferraro is being called a racist for her comments that “If Obama was a white man, he would not be in this position. And if he was a woman of any color, he would not be in this position. He happens to be very lucky to be who he is. And the country is caught up in the concept.”
--
As I read that, I can't help but think that if Ms. Ferraro is racist, then she is also sexist. I believe neither. I was brought up and educated to believe that prejudice is a belief I may have that is based on a lack of understanding, stereotypes and ignorance. To be a racist was to apply actionable energy to your prejudice. Words sometimes hurt, is that racism. I don't really think that it is. Words hurt, if you let them hurt you. There may be an emotional impact behind the words, but ownership to accept the hurt falls on the willing victim. I also don't believe that Ms. Ferraro's words were based on prejudice. It's entirely possible that she harbors some prejudices, but the content of her language begs for a deeper understanding of the motive behind her words. Seems to me, the medias have jumped off the deep end to presume her words are prejudicial and not circumstantial.
--
**this ad paid for by a non-supporter of Clinton and/or Obama. And heaven forbid a combined ticket.**

No comments: